Unofficial Township Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to UTF. A friendly community full of helpful info for Township players.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  CalendarCalendar  
Latest topics
» Top Contributor
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Kaytown Fri 15 Oct 2021 - 17:11

» Welcome to our discussions section
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Fri 15 Oct 2021 - 5:53

» Seasonal Task of "Earn Coins"
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Thu 14 Oct 2021 - 20:33

» Co-Op Ads
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Tessa Tiger Wed 13 Oct 2021 - 20:36

» Windows Lucky Towns
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 12 Oct 2021 - 22:34

» Playrix Info from T&B
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Tue 12 Oct 2021 - 21:17

» In a Co op where Leader is completely inactive
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Neighbor Jane Mon 11 Oct 2021 - 16:07

» Hi!
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby BlueSkyTown Mon 11 Oct 2021 - 5:32

» Game Update
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Chorilandia Sun 10 Oct 2021 - 18:46

» Golden Ticket-What's required to finish
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Neighbor Jane Sun 10 Oct 2021 - 3:37

» Another Update
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Sat 9 Oct 2021 - 23:57

» Windows Update 8.61.1 Available
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Lil Bear Sat 9 Oct 2021 - 18:31

» Way too many building materials arriving, even before I've levelled up enough t.
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby RuthsTown Wed 6 Oct 2021 - 18:14

» Say Hello!
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 5 Oct 2021 - 1:21

» Township Corn Maze 2021
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Chorilandia Tue 5 Oct 2021 - 0:27

» Race of champions, tasks really hard?
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby SweetTater Mon 4 Oct 2021 - 18:19

» Cross Stitch Patterns as Design Ideas???
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Chorilandia Sat 2 Oct 2021 - 23:44

» Lucky Town How-to Post Link
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Fri 1 Oct 2021 - 1:05

» Delayed Start ROC
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby just4fun Wed 29 Sep 2021 - 17:38

» Pick Talk (for goldpassers)
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Wed 29 Sep 2021 - 4:21

» Multiple PC User Accounts & Multiple Towns on One Device
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 28 Sep 2021 - 21:45

» Ruler of the mine and Mine time question
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Mon 27 Sep 2021 - 23:58

» Windows Update 8.6.0 Available
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Mon 27 Sep 2021 - 14:46

» I wish Playrix Would Add/Change:
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Sun 26 Sep 2021 - 19:54

New topics
» Playrix Info from T&B
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Lil Bear Tue 12 Oct 2021 - 8:07

» Seasonal Task of "Earn Coins"
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Sun 10 Oct 2021 - 20:45

» Hi!
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby jobanje Sun 10 Oct 2021 - 10:48

» Game Update
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Sun 10 Oct 2021 - 2:28

» Golden Ticket-What's required to finish
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby catlover88 Sat 9 Oct 2021 - 19:11

» In a Co op where Leader is completely inactive
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby catlover88 Tue 5 Oct 2021 - 20:12

» Windows Update 8.61.1 Available
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 5 Oct 2021 - 13:58

» Way too many building materials arriving, even before I've levelled up enough t.
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeby RuthsTown Mon 4 Oct 2021 - 22:11

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas)

Go down
AuthorMessage

just_a_minute

Active
just_a_minute
Active

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) Empty
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 16:51 #1

Anyone else lose Regattas on purpose to get better prizes? I'm considering throwing regattas every other week so that the following week I can take first place and the better prizes...

Backstory: I play in a co-op with my husband and son and they haven't been very active lately, so I've been just playing solo really. And since they didn't opt out we dropped down to wooden league (embarrassing, I know, ha!) With the holidays I wasn't very active but on the last day I did all my tasks (not even 135) just for fun and placed 2nd. The rewards for 2nd were fantastic and included a booster! Much better than the glass and slabs I have no use for that I get from chests.  

This might not be beneficial at lower levels, but for me I have all of the decos from yacht club at this point, I've finished all CBs and ZEs, and I have oodles of coins and Tcash. 

I also noticed that if I enter a ROC from wooden league I can easily take 1st place without a fight Smile

ETA: If at the beginning of a new season there is a great gold deco, I would still have time to put in the effort to move up to gold and snag it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Light of the World~Emily

Mod
Light of the World~Emily
Mod

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 17:19 #2

That's very interesting, and I was just wondering today about the very same thing!  I'm at a higher level and so boosters, building supplies, and coins aren't so great a thrill.  If staying in wooden and throwing races make ROC easier...that might be a good strategy.  Any other input from others who may have tried this?
Back to top Go down

BKNBLK13 Agrees with this post

View user profile

just_a_minute

Active
just_a_minute
Active

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 17:24 #3

Back when we were really competing to win and were always in Gold, ROC was impossible and took SO much effort. One week we accidentally dropped to silver and ROC was easier. Now entering at wooden league it is a cake walk for a competitive player / co-op. I won the last one as a 2 person co-op and my husband didn't even play!
Back to top Go down

Light of the World~Emily and BKNBLK13 Thinks this post is Awesome

View user profile

Mayfield

TC
Mayfield
TC

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 17:36 #4

If you look at statistics for other coops, there are a lot with many gold wins/ top 3 who also have a lot of silver wins/ top 3, so I think those must be teams that do that. I used to notice especially the last week before Interseasonal, the bottom three placements were teams with many trophies clearly trying to drop.
Our experience was that dropping to silver once for a week did not result in a lower difficulty league when we got back. Before dropping, we had noticed that too many top three finishes did seem to have pushed us up to a stronger competition group, but the gold competition was just as fierce after dropping and returning.

I don’t know how bad we’d need to be for them to adjust our competitiveness factor back down. Maybe it takes multiple drops to silver, a longer time in silver, or a whole slew of 8-12 place finishes. I just can say from recent experience that dropping for one week didn’t make any difference. Frankly, if it takes very long, I’m not sure the rewards gained from a gold top 3 later would add up to much more than the rewards lost during all those silver weeks and low finishes.
Back to top Go down

BKNBLK13 Agrees with this post

View user profile

Mayfield

TC
Mayfield
TC

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 17:38 #5

If you look at statistics for othe4 coops, there are a lot with many gold wins/ top 3 who also have a lot of silver wins/ top 3, so I think those must be teams that do that. I used to notice especially the last week before Interseasonal, the bottom three placements were teams with many trophies clearly trying to drop.
Our experience was that dropping to silver once for a week did not result in a lower difficulty league when we got back. Before dropping, we had noticed that too many top three finishes did seem to have pushed us up to a stronger competition group, but the gold competition was just as fierce after dropping and returning.

I don’t know how bad we’d need to be for them to adjust our competitiveness factor back down. Maybe it takes multiple drops to silver, a longer time in silver, or a whole slew of 8-12 place finishes. I just can say from recent experience that dropping for one week didn’t make any difference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

just_a_minute

Active
just_a_minute
Active

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 17:47 #6

If you are a daily player that enjoys racing and usually places 1-3, there isn't much point to this strategy. You can surely receive more week over week with solid effort! 

But... if you are Township "retired" and feeling lazy or bored of the rat race, and you have random boosts of max energy/effort, this might just be for you.  Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) 1f4a4  Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) 1f334 Cool
Back to top Go down

BKNBLK13 and Calliie Agrees with this post

View user profile

Light of the World~Emily

Mod
Light of the World~Emily
Mod

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2021 - 18:11 #7

Sounds like my cup of tea, thanks @just_a_minute!  I think the co-op I'm in will be trying something similar.  It's a great strategy for someone who's more interested in the t-cash for ROC than the whatever-you-get while regularly racing.
Back to top Go down

Calliie Agrees with this post

View user profile

Calliie

Active
Calliie
Active

Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas) I_icon_minitimeThu 7 Jan 2021 - 7:15 #8

I do agree that ROC is easier on wooden league or even steel league. Gold league is a bit tough to play Roc. 

There is a theory going around that you are always group even in mayor's competition with those of the same ranks the previous week. Eg, this week you are first in regatta, next week regatta you will be grouped with a bunch of first. 
So some people will do high and low ranking each week instead of dropping leagues. Eg: after getting first, next week race will be relaxed and hope for a 10th position onward.  And so they cycle.

And in this forum, some of the old threads mentioned cycling between silver and gold. It is worth reading it. 

Regatta racing style
Some of the nuggets of wisdom are buried inside. It was very helpful when I started solo racing.
Back to top Go down

Darkwood PC and dnana1 Thinks this post is Awesome

View user profile
Losing to Win (Throwing Regattas)
Page 1 of 1