Unofficial Township Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to UTF. A friendly community full of helpful info for Township players.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  CalendarCalendar  
Latest topics
» The UTF Music Playlist
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Today at 0:07

» Beach Adventures (July 27 ~ August 24, 2021)
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Michelle Yesterday at 20:19

» Tutorials for beginners of Township Game
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Wed 28 Jul 2021 - 23:38

» Songs of Township
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Mic Miller Mon 26 Jul 2021 - 22:36

» What are your Tips & Tricks in Township?
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Matmat Mon 26 Jul 2021 - 14:39

» Township Wiki
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Mayfield Sun 25 Jul 2021 - 14:11

» How many here play on Windows?
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Elby714 Sun 25 Jul 2021 - 0:36

» Random thoughts about commercials, tv shows, etc.
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Michelle Sat 24 Jul 2021 - 17:58

» Buying Market Baskets
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby just4fun Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 15:33

» Ruler of the Mine 7/26/2021
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Medamana Wed 21 Jul 2021 - 18:52

» I wish Playrix Would Add/Change:
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby A_Jarvis Wed 21 Jul 2021 - 17:52

» Cloud PC for Win10 - Win11 to follow
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 16:04

» Image for The Great Gatsby/Golden Ticket
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 15:49

» Um...Is My Signature Showing Up?
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 14:43

» Disappearing crops
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Buckeyes Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 0:04

» Recent Change to Township Wiki
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Mon 19 Jul 2021 - 10:57

» Top Contributor
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Chorilandia Sat 17 Jul 2021 - 19:00

» HELPER requested / OFFERING help / GP tcash Accumulators Message Board!
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Chorilandia Fri 16 Jul 2021 - 19:01

» Co-Op Ads
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Wakanda Fri 16 Jul 2021 - 15:10

» Fire in the river!
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Bobcat Paradise Fri 16 Jul 2021 - 2:15

» PC update out
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Thu 15 Jul 2021 - 22:44

» Ruler of the mine 6/7
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby CodyLyons Wed 14 Jul 2021 - 13:28

» Don't build the zoo=5TC in place of cards
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Matmat Mon 12 Jul 2021 - 3:51

» What is the correct forum to post Co-Op advertisements
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Lil Bear Sat 10 Jul 2021 - 8:17

New topics
» Random thoughts about commercials, tv shows, etc.
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Michelle Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 17:59

» Beach Adventures (July 27 ~ August 24, 2021)
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Lil Bear Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 14:10

» Buying Market Baskets
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Buckeyes Thu 22 Jul 2021 - 22:02

» Ruler of the Mine 7/26/2021
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Medamana Wed 21 Jul 2021 - 18:52

» Tutorials for beginners of Township Game
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 16:07

» Cloud PC for Win10 - Win11 to follow
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Daneborg Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 16:04

» Um...Is My Signature Showing Up?
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Light of the World~Emily Tue 20 Jul 2021 - 1:51

» Image for The Great Gatsby/Golden Ticket
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeby Downton Falls Mon 19 Jul 2021 - 15:25

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign

Go down
AuthorMessage

Mic Miller

TPro
Mic Miller
TPro

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign Empty
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2020 - 22:46 #1

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: Eskimo Pie

“An Eskimo Pie is a chocolate-covered vanilla ice cream bar wrapped in foil, the first such dessert sold in the United States. It is now marketed by Dreyer’s, a division of Froneri. In 2020, Dreyer's announced it would change the brand, saying that Eskimo is a derogatory term.”

Fellow Townshippers,

As you can see the trademark owner recognizes "Eskimo Pie” is a derogatory term that will be replaced — and we do not know what the new name will be yet! I am asking everyone to send in a CS ticket telling Playrix this news and voicing your support for a name change of this Ice Cream Factory product. Will you join me? I won't tell you what to say. It would be better and more impactful on Playrix if we all used our own words. If nothing else we will have put this issue on their radar screen and, hopefully, their To Do list. It is time for Playrix to listen to us and do as we ask!

To borrow from the late, great John Lewis: Let's send some good spam! Thank you for your support on this timely matter.

Míc

Last edited by Mic Miller on Mon 27 Jul 2020 - 23:15; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mayfield

Senior
Mayfield
Senior

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2020 - 1:44 #2

I think of the ice cream sandwich (not the bar) as Eskimo pie, but that's really just the brand name.  They do make multiple ice cream products and that fudgesicle looking thing is one of them.

It is odd, though, that they would use a trademarked brand name for any if these items.

Last edited by Mayfield on Wed 29 Jul 2020 - 21:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mic Miller

TPro
Mic Miller
TPro

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2020 - 8:49 #3

@Mayfield wrote:
It is odd, though, that they would use a trademarked brand name for any if these items.

Playrix has "borrowed" heavily for TS. Remember the Woody Allen character in the Map window letting you watch ad videos for Ts or coins. Today we see the "video guy." I have wondered how much Playrix had to pay in damages for that trademark infringement case settlement? But trademark isn't the point with this campaign — not with all the lawyers in this world.

The point is to get the dog (we the paying customers/players) to wag the tail (Playrix) and get them to a) respond to an audience demand, and b) remove a derogatory term from the game of Township. I know if I called you a derogatory name, the admins here would either edit my post or do worse to me.

It is also about the fact that the time has long past to see whether we, as the dominant species on this planet, can "get it right with the right stuff by doing the right moves in the right tempo" before we self extinguish and take other species with us. Believe me when I say this scientific reality. Not some belief system. And not observational pragmatism. This is the highest order of intelligence: scientific approach. It is time to get woke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stella Eaton

Active
Stella Eaton
Active

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 19:30 #4

I’m sure we in the Uk used to call them Chocolate Mivis. I think they should definitely be renamed as Chocolate Ices or some such thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Downton Falls

Admin
Downton Falls
Admin

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 19:54 #5

@Stella Eaton wrote:
I’m sure we in the Uk used to call them Chocolate Mivis. I think they should definitely be renamed as Chocolate Ices or some such thing.

I used to love the fruit flavour Mivvi's and still love a fruit split Very Happy 

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign Downlo10

On the subject of Eskimo Pie. Count me in @Mic Miller I will happily send Playrix CS a request in support that they change the name thumbs up
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Luckyklds

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 20:35 #6

I don't think that Eskimo pie is a derogatory term at all, I think you are taking the game far to seriously. It is an ice cream for God's sake, there are far more important things in the world to get upset about. I for one will not be contacting playrix asking for a name change for the Eskimo pie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Downton Falls

Admin
Downton Falls
Admin

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 21:04 #7

@Luckyklds wrote:
I don't think that Eskimo pie is a derogatory term at all, I think you are taking the game far to seriously. It is an ice cream for God's sake, there are far more important things in the world to get upset about. I for one will not be contacting playrix asking for a name change for the Eskimo pie.
Well it was just a request by the topic starter for those who did agree to contact Playrix CS directly. It is not about what the product is but the name "Eskimo" (at least this was my understanding). Whether you agree or not, the fact is this is widely viewed as an offensive word now. 

A friendly reminder to everyone also. This topic is not here to get into a debate about whether this word should or shouldn't be offensive. It is a request for people who agree, to show their support by asking Playrix to change the name of this product in Township Smile

[hideedit]

Last edited by Downton Falls on Thu 30 Jul 2020 - 0:07; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mayfield

Senior
Mayfield
Senior

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 21:05 #8

@Mic Miller wrote:
@Mayfield wrote:

Playrix has "borrowed" heavily for TS. Remember the Woody Allen character in the Map window letting you watch ad videos for Ts or coins. Today we see the "video guy." I have wondered how much Playrix had to pay in damages for that trademark infringement case settlement? But trademark isn't the point with this campaign — not with all the lawyers in this world.

I don't think so.  They still use Woody Allen look alike in the Windows game and the other video guy is young Steven Spielberg.  Using personal likenesses of famous people are covered by different laws, but those pretty much all allow for satire or obvious spoofing.  It isn't like they used the actual name for those characters.

I don't think the term Eskimo pie itself is particularly derogatory, but I believe the broad term Eskimo to refer collectively to people of several northern tribes across 2 continents and Greenland is bothersome to those peoples.  I can understand why Dreyers has decided its time to move on.

As for the TS items, I'd go with ice cream bar and also add cone to the name of the existing ice cream cone.  Or they could go with fudgesicle and change the inside to brown.  No idea how that would work in other languages.

Last edited by Mayfield on Wed 29 Jul 2020 - 23:56; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile

HavaDrPepper

Active
HavaDrPepper
Active

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 21:10 #9

This hits home for me as my town is embroiled in controversy right now about changing the school mascot we have had for well over 75 years.

It all boils down to there will be unhappy people no matter what is done or not done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Arial Heights

Admin
Arial Heights
Admin

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeWed 29 Jul 2020 - 23:58 #10

I’m happy to write a comment to Playrix @Mic Miller
Here in the UK we have a small block of ice cream covered in chocolate that we call a choc ice - they’re lovely. 😋
Playrix have a plethora of names that this item could be renamed to very easily, as can be seen by this thread. 
With this game being multi national, the options are endless, without the need for any offence to anyone. 
flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mayfield

Senior
Mayfield
Senior

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeThu 30 Jul 2020 - 22:16 #11

If they were smart they might talk to the Dove Bar people and actually get paid to put their product into the game.  I wondered earlier if Eskimo Pie was actually product placement and not just designers too clueless to realize it was a brand name rather than a generic term.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Chiosnic

Chiosnic

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2020 - 9:46 #12

As a fellow Brit, my vote is also for choc ice. Completely inoffensive and what I have always called the TS item both mentally and in co-op chat even though over 50% are American.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Mayfield

Senior
Mayfield
Senior

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2020 - 14:48 #13

Choc Ice isn't used at all in the US.  The only people here who recognize it would be ones who watch a lot of PBS programming from England.  I only knew it from a long ago episode of Last of the Summer Wine.  Still, it is one of those terms that would be easily remembered once learned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

JayS

Active
JayS
Active

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2020 - 16:17 #14

@Mayfield wrote:
Choc Ice isn't used at all in the US.  The only people here who recognize it would be ones who watch a lot of PBS programming from England.  I only knew it from a long ago episode of Last of the Summer Wine.  Still, it is one of those terms that would be easily remembered once learned.
Interesting.
Aaah Last of the Summer Wine. Brings back fond memories of Sunday Evenings. Compo (incidentally Aussie for compensation -5tc for 1000 anyone) was such a great character. One language separated by multiple cultures.
I really struggle with some of the in-game names and often. have to pop back to the factory to check before asking what to use begging button for.
Sweater is known as a jumper or a pullover in BritEng.
(Please note that pullover and jumper is not an instruction - that would fall foul of #me too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Willow Mist

Active
Willow Mist
Active

Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign I_icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2020 - 16:25 #15

see we call the item TS refers to as 'eskimo pie' as a 'revel' in canada but if we were to change it to chocolate ice pop it might get confused with 'fudgsicle' which is solid chocolate where the 'revel' is choc covered ice cream on a stick. i believe those are also trade-marked names though so they might not like that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rename Eskimo Pie Campaign
Page 1 of 1